Refugee Travel Document (Form I-131)

Even if you have entered the United States with a valid visa, you are not automatically granted the right to work. Depending on A refugee travel document is an official travel document, similar to a passport, that is issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to refugees or asylees, allowing them to travel abroad and return to the United States. Green card holders who got their permanent residency as a result of their refugee/asylum status also need to apply for a refugee travel document to travel abroad…. (click for article)

Work Permit (I-765) Employment Authorization Document

Even if you have entered the United States with a valid visa, you are not automatically granted the right to work. Depending on the visa class with which you entered the country, you will need to apply for a work permit (I-765) employment authorization document (EAD for short)… (click for article)

Humanitarian Reinstatement

There is a lifeline available in such situations. Principal beneficiaries of a petitioning relative who has since died have the option of asking U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to proceed with their permanent residency applications for humanitarian reasons. This is known as humanitarian reinstatement……. (click for article)

Visas for Victims of Crime, Domestic Violence, and Human Trafficking

Each year the U.S. government sets aside a limited number of visas for victims of crime, spousal and domestic violence, and human trafficking. These nonimmigrant visa classes provide temporary status to individuals in the United States who are or have been victims of a severe form of trafficking or who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as victims of criminal activity…… (click for article)

I-601A – Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver

The Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver is a program designed for foreign nationals who are currently living in the U.S. and who are statutorily eligible for an immigrant visa, but who are not eligible to apply for adjustment of status due to periods of unlawful presence. This program is designed to reduce the amount of time a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident and their foreign national relative spend separated during the consular application process….. (click for article)

Temporary Protected Status

Created by Congress in the Immigration Act of 1990, Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a temporary immigration status designed to offer a lifeline to foreign nationals already in the U.S. from certain designated countries. The Secretary of Homeland Security (with inputs from the Department of State, the National Security Council, and occasionally the Department of Justice) designates a foreign country for TPS when conditions there (usually due to war, natural disasters, or other extraordinary conditions) prevent the safe return…. (click for article)

Ways You Can Lose Your Permanent Resident Status

Permanent resident status is granted to people who intend to live in the United States for the foreseeable future and eventually apply for citizenship. While green card holders have the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently, there are ways you can lose your permanent resident status. Permanent residency comes with a set of rules… (click for article)

Differences Between Permanent Resident Status and Citizenship

Lawful permanent residents (green card holders) have many rights and privileges, like living and working in the United States indefinitely. There are, however, several limitations that come with permanent resident status that U.S. Citizens don’t have. It is important for all green card holders to be aware of these differences… (click for article)

How to Obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) / Form FS-240

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a document issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate that grants U.S. Citizenship to children born overseas to parents, of whom one or both are U.S. Citizens. The CRBA is also referred to as Form FS-240, after its document number… (click for article)

Obtaining a U.S. Passport

One of the biggest benefits of obtaining U.S. citizenship is the American passport. A United States passport not only gives you the privilege of visiting more than 185 countries around the world visa-free, but also allows Americans visiting other countries to get help from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate during emergencies… (click for article)

Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (for a U.S. Work Permit)

All U.S. citizens and green card holders (i.e. lawful permanent residents) may seek employment in the U.S. without any special permission. Individuals with temporary non-immigrant status need to acquire authorization from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to be able to work in the U.S… (click for article)

Green Card Renewal

A green card, or permanent resident card, is valid for 10 years and must be renewed before expiration. While failure to renew a green card does not result in losing permanent residency status, all adult permanent residents in the US are required by law to be possession of a valid non-expired green card at all times… (click for article)

K1 Visa / FiancForm G-639 FOIA Request – the Freedom of Information Act Requesté Visa / Fiancé Petition

The Freedom of Information Act, or Form G-639 FOIA Request, is an American law that allows an individual to request full or partial disclosure of documents and information from a United States government agency… (click for article)

K1 Visa / Fiancé Visa / Fiancé Petition

The K1 Visa / Fiancé Visa is a temporary nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign national engaged to a U.S. citizen to enter the United States on the condition that the couple gets married within 90 days… (click for article)

Conditional Resident Status and Removal of Conditions

An immigrant who has been married to their U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse for fewer than two years will first be granted what is called Conditional Resident Status. The two years are calculated from the date of the marriage to the date the immigrant… (click for article)

Consular Processing

Consular processing, where applicants outside the U.S. can apply for an immigrant visa through a U.S. Embassy or consulate in their country (or the nearest consulate or embassy that handles visa applications for their geographic region.) … (click for article)

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status (AOS) is when an individual who lawfully entered the U.S. with a temporary visa (such as a student visa, tourist visa, etc.) applies for Lawful Permanent Resident status (i.e., a green card) … (click for article)

Naturalization and Citizenship

The process of a foreign-born person becoming a U.S. citizen is called naturalization. After obtaining lawful permanent resident status, citizenship is the next step for green card holders living and … (click for article)

The New Public Charge Ground of Inadmissibility Rule

On August 14, 2019, the Department of Homeland Security under President Trump announced new rules for immigration officials to decide if an individual is inadmissible to the U.S. based on … (click for article)

U.S. Citizenship Requirements

Before filing papers for US citizenship, the applicant must meet certain requirements to be eligible. Bear in mind that there may be differing requirements and/or exceptions depending on the applicant’s … (click for article)

Marriage Based Adjustment of Status (Marriage Green Card)

For Foreign Nationals Married to U.S. Citizens In certain cases, foreign nationals physically present in the U.S. who marry U.S. citizens may be sponsored by their spouse to become lawful … (click for article)

Filing a Petition to Bring Family Members to the U.S.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (i.e. green card holders) are able to file a petition to sponsor their relatives to join them under family-based immigrant visa categories… (click for article)